Executive order that could dismantle the Education Department in the works, sources say

Published: Feb. 4, 2025 at 11:48 AM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

WASHINGTON (Gray News) - President Donald Trump’s administration is drafting an executive order that could lead to the end of the U.S. Education Department, according to several reports.

The proposed order is expected to call for the secretary of education to submit a proposal that would dismantle the department, according to a CNN report. The order would also call on Congress to push legislation eliminating it.

ABC News reported that although the timing of when Trump plans to sign the order is unknown, there have been active talks about the future of the Education Department.

The news of the proposed executive order comes a day after it was reported that dozens of Education Department employees were placed on administrative leave.

According to the Associated Press, at least 55 employees received an email Friday stating they were being placed on paid leave. A labor union reported the action was in response to Trump’s order banning diversity, equity and inclusion programs in the federal government.

Madison Biederman, a spokesperson for the Education Department, said a team from Elon Musk’s Department of Government Efficiency, or DOGE, was at the department Monday. She reported the team was working to implement Trump’s executive orders and agenda.

This comes as DOGE pushes to cut programs and workers across the federal government.

The end of the Education Department was one of Trump’s campaign promises. During his campaign, he said the department had been infiltrated “radicals, zealots and Marxists.” Trump has said that the department’s power should be turned over to schools and states.

This is not the first time an administration has attempted to abolish the Education Department. Previous attempts have not received backing from Congress.