Lance Broncho changes plea to guilty after new plea agreement
IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (KIFI) — It was a crime story that shocked and rocked Eastern Idaho: a home invasion gone wrong, leading to death.
Suspect Lance Broncho made a decision in an Idaho Falls courtroom Monday that could have significant ramifications for his case.
Broncho changed his plea from innocent to guilty in response to a new plea agreement from the Bonneville County prosecuting attorney. Broncho had previously accepted a plea deal early in the case.
However, the defendant backed out of the deal, and the death penalty was put back on the table after Broncho was charged with several crimes committed while in jail.
Those charges include smuggling, improvising weapons and attacking a guard.
Prosecutors say Broncho entered a home on 4th Street back in March, shooting two people, killing one and engaging in an hours-long standoff with police.
“Mr. Bronco,” the judge said. “I want to advise you that if we proceed today, you will waive your right to have this matter heard by a jury. You will waive your right to confront your accusers, and you will waive your right to present your own defenses. Do you understand you’re waving these rights?”
“Yes, your honor,” Broncho said.
Under the new agreement, the charges from when Broncho was in jail will be dismissed, and the death penalty will be taken off the table.
The 23-year-old will plead guilty to the felony charges of murder in the first degree in the death of 51-year-old Eric Leask. as well as felony aggravated battery with the use of a deadly weapon, felony robbery and felony burglary.
Broncho will be back in court on Oct. 7 for his sentencing hearing.
Copyright 2024 KMVT. All rights reserved.