Father on fishing trip was swept out to sea by large wave, family says
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (KCRA) - A 43-year-old was on a fishing trip with a coworker on the Sonoma County coastline in California when a large wave swept him into the ocean on Sunday.
Shanglong Tang’s wife, Lanqian Xu, and brother-in-law, Sang Voong, said he was excited for the trip.
“On Thursday, they prepared to go. I mean, prepared everything; buying, fishing pole, permit and things like that,” Voong described.
Tang only lived in California for about three years and knew very little English.
His family believes he had no idea that there had been a high surf warning issued for that area.
“About 10 o’clock, he make a video saying that scene is so beautiful,” Voong added.
Just over an hour later, Tang was engulfed by the ocean.
“Luckily, we have three girls over there to call the emergency, to call 911,” Voong said. “Then, a helicopter come about half-hour later.”
Tang was pulled from the water, but he did not survive
Family described him as a hard-working man who moved from China to Sacramento to provide a better life for his family.
“He is so soft. If you ask him to do something, he will help you,” Voong said.

Tang loved cooking, according to his family. He was even a chef and had a restaurant in China.
“He is a very nice person. He cook for a family all the time, take care of the kid when he’s home,” Voong said. “He was always busy.”
Tang leaves behind his two children and wife. March 14 would’ve marked their 11th wedding anniversary.
“Everything’s gone,“ Xu said.
The family now wants the public to know how dangerous the waters can be.
“I’m trying to warn people don’t go there anymore,” Voong said.
Copyright 2025 KCRA via CNN Newsource. All rights reserved.