Whittling down death penalty jury for Chad Daybell’s trial

BOISE, Idaho (KMVT/KSVT) — Preemptory challenges for potential jurors who will hear the capital murder trial of Chad Daybell began at 10 a.m. Monday morning.
Idaho’s Judicial Branch says a peremptory challenge gives both the state and the defense the ability to excuse a potential juror from serving on the case without giving a reason. Monday’s proceedings were not live streamed to allow the parties to exercise their striking challenges and select the final jury for trial.
Idaho Criminal Rule 24 gives both parties a certain number of challenges. On Friday 57 jurors were selected from last week’s panels. Monday that number would be whittled down to a total of 18, 12 jurors with six alternates, all 18 selected will be sequestered for the duration of the trial which is expected to last eight to 10 weeks.
Idaho 7th Judicial District Judge Steven Boyce also extended the imposed gag order for all parties involved in the trial until after opening statements that are slated for April 10.
According to Nate Eaton with East Idaho News, Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake says new concerns have been raised and asked Boyce to extend the non-dissemination order for the duration of the trial. Chad Daybell’s Defense Attorney John Prior agrees. Boyce said he will take their concerns under advisement.
Chad Daybell is facing three counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his first wife Tammy Daybell, of which he could face the death penalty for, also for the deaths of his current wife’s two children, 16-year-old Tylee Ryan and 7-year-old J.J. Vallow, along with conspiracy to commit murder charges and insurance fraud.
Lori Vallow Daybell was found guilty of the same crimes during her murder trial that began on April 1st of last year in the same courtroom.
Copyright 2024 KMVT. All rights reserved.